supports arrangement

Discussions on normal hardware operation, tips, etc.
Barracuda
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

supports arrangement

Post#1 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:40 am

Hi,

1. Is this kind of support done directly in the B9creator software?
otherwise how do you do them

Capture.PNG

2. To print a ring, the other small supports that you place, what minimum size of the tip do you recommend to leave a minimum of damage on the printed part?

3.When do you cut the supports before or after the UV treatment?

4.what other software to use to put the supports. I know a little netfabb and meshmixer. it's a pity that the printer B9Creator is not listed in meshmixer

I also downloaded the software of formlab which allows me to see visibly the proposals of positioning of the object with the position of the supports

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: supports arrangement

Post#2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:52 pm

You have to create the "base support" in your CAD program and make it part of the model for export. Other supports are added in the B9 software.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

TAJS
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:27 pm

Here is the stl of the support...it is called the "Justin Support" because he invented it...and the original stl that he shared is somewhere here on this forum.
Attachments
ring base.stl
(573.62 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

TAJS
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:30 pm

FWIW I import the support into the project I am working on. Scale if needed and export the ring with the support attached, into B9's slicing software.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#5 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:00 pm

yes
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

RobertW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:17 pm

Matrix 9 has 3D printing tools that play very nice with B9C printers... especially the base support tool. I was using the "Justin" base on a foundation disk since we got our first 1.2 printer but I find the Matrix version superior. The big difference between the two is that the Matrix support is wider at the top and tapers down to the foundation in the front view but that's reversed in the side view. You just select your ring and click the button and M9 automatically calculates the proper base support for the ring. Of course, the x-y-z extents are fully adjustable if you so desire. Love it!
By the way, nice ring you made there! :)
Attachments
base support compare.JPG

Barracuda
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:24 am

Thanks a lot for your answers.
For points 1 and 2 you can also guide me if you like because when I remove the supports there are marks on the surface. in the media settings, I have 40microns of penetration, then I decrease it to how much to leave the minimum mark on the surface

RobertW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:58 pm

Here's a link to a forum thread that covers that issue:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4755&p=39181&hilit=custom+top+supports#p39181

I followed Mike's directions (in the thread) and created a snap-off top support that I use all the time (see image). Happy Holidays!
Attachments
SUPPORT_Cone snapoff2.stl
(50.67 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
custom snapoff support image.JPG

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#9 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:00 pm

If u remove the supports before curing you get less of the dipples on the surface.

You can patch with a little resin and cure or wax them up when spruing for casting.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

Barracuda
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:31 am

Thank you very much for your valuable advice guys.

Robert Howel.
Actually, I delete my supports as you said, cut them before UV treatment. and add small drops of resin to plug the small holes.

RobertW.
I will experiment with spherical end brackets to see the result

I wish you all in advance, merry christmas and excellent end-of-year festivities if I do not come back to you to ask questions :)

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:32 pm

this is one of those things I've learned from plastic model building. rather than try to cut a sprue (or in this case a support) off a plastic piece as flush as possible give yourself a millimeter or two of sprue between where you cut and the model itself. this way you can file the excess (carefully) to leave as smooth a surface as possible. it's a little extra work to have to file or sand, but it's worth it in the end. I build a lot of plastic models and if you cut too close to the model it turns the plastic white (or lighter in color) from the stress, b9 resin isn't as forgiving and chips instead of deforms, so all the more reason to take care and do it the hard but good way.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#12 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:38 pm

super glue works well to fill the holes or cracks too.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Return to “Operation”