Position and supports

B9Creator - Ideas and Discussions
BobSavage
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Position and supports

Post#1 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Yep... I'm still a beginner after over a year (only about 90 hours on my printer) and could really use help demystifying the positioning and support process. How would you position these and what type of supports would you use and where?

I understand the general concept that anything hanging below/undercuts needs a support but I can't help but think there's something less than magic to print general items (or maybe I have the wrong kind of printer and need to spend way more money?).

Any input is appreciated... this process is still fairly intimidating to me.

The pictures seem to have uploaded in reverse order so the back is first.
Attachments
Cross-4.jpg
Cross-3.jpg
Cross-1.jpg
Cross-2.jpg
Alpha and Omega-2 4.jpg
Alpha and Omega-2 3.jpg
Alpha and Omega-2 2.jpg
Alpha and Omega-2 1.jpg

lobby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: Position and supports

Post#2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:35 am

My thoughts

1. The first crucifix

I would print it vertically, but I'd tilt it back about 30 - 45 degrees, AND tilt it to the left (or right) 30-40 degrees. You'd then only have two supports to add to it.

2. The 2nd crucifix.

This is one more challenging, as you have ornamental work all over the place. I would remove the bail and print it separately. I'd then flip the crucifix 180 degrees (and tilt it sideways as in #1) and support it from the location where the bail was. You'll also have to support the lower arm of the crucifix.

3. The pendants

The reeded edges make printing these a bit more difficult. I'd attempt to support them at the little balls on the face of the pendant with small supports. And one on the lower edge. Then I'd say a little prayer to Chuck Hull and hope for the best. :lol:

BobSavage
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:33 am

Hi Lobby!

Thank you very much for the help!

The screen prints are probably a bit confusing, but it's only two pieces. The first four pics are rotated views of the same crucifix, starting with the back of it (the more plain side) and the second four are the same medallion, again with the back shown first (pics uploaded out of order).

Unless you have different thoughts knowing there are only two, I'll give these a whirl over the weekend.

Thanks again.

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:41 am

I would suggest on the crucifix tilting it back about 35 degrees, your less complex back should be a good place for your supports. as for the coin. the ridges make it a bit of a nightmare. I would actually add a "flap" that goes around the bottom 3/4 of the model wrapped around the edge of the coin, on the edge corner of the less detailed side. maybe 1mm wide and .7mm thick. to act as a support for all of them. you'd have to do that in the modeling program rather than support I think. basically add a piece that supports all of those, maybe not even a flap but a .75mm Dia. pipe. you will have to carefully file off whatever you end up using, but the idea is to support the beginning growth of all those ridges with something that's minimally invasive to the design and easy to remove. I hope I'm not rambling, pain meds today.

BobSavage
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:34 am

Great input, thank you!

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#6 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Another easy and very fast way to print this is to print each side flat on the table.
It will print in 20 minutes or so at 30 um and you will have excellent smooth prints.
Just put the 2 halves together.

No supports needed. no clean up.
You can cast the parts and put them together... or put them together and cast the parts.

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:21 am

I forgot about the two halves method! good looking out metalcaster

RobertW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:29 pm

Good luck getting that lettering to come out! Not sure what the actual size of the medallion is but even at the size shown I doubt the word "revelation" would print or cast well.

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:24 pm

you would be amazed. I had a very small eye of Ra come out in a print I didn't expect it to.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#10 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Some of the smaller lettering/ wording is too close together and will run together if the lettering is not adjusted.
Anything that looks like it is almost touching on a screen this size, will definitely blend at print size.
Move the small letters further apart... now... or Later :-)

Return to “General Discussion”