- Operation
- Troubleshooting
BobSavage
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Process aborted... motor no longer works

Post#1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:56 pm

Hello,

I have a B9 1.2 (92 hours on the machine) and began getting the "process aborted due to power loss or jammed mechanism..." error.

The first time it occurred I was able to restart the job but this time after a bit of troubleshooting per information I found on the forums (replaced cables to make sure it's not com loss, etc.), it appears that my X motor isn't working at all, even when trying to move the vat manually with the L/R switch.

How do I troubleshoot this to find out if the motor is actually dead or something else is causing it to not work?

Thank you.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Re: Process aborted... motor no longer works

Post#2 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:38 pm

unplug everything power usb to both the printer and the projector
shut off computer
wait 2 minutes while your waiting remove the vat check for any leaks if found clean it up.
look at the limit switch on the right where the vat moves to and see if it has any debri or resin in it. if so clean
look at the other Z limit switches for any.
look at the xy motor to see if there is any resin dripped into it if so remove and clean out
reconnect power and usb to printer
restart computer

restart program to print
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

BobSavage
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:29 am

akgold wrote:unplug everything power usb to both the printer and the projector
shut off computer
wait 2 minutes while your waiting remove the vat check for any leaks if found clean it up.
look at the limit switch on the right where the vat moves to and see if it has any debri or resin in it. if so clean
look at the xy motor to see if there is any resin dripped into it if so remove and clean out
restart computer

restart program to print

Thank you! I did a number of these yesterday but not necessarily in this order and not all of them so will get at it later this morning.
Last edited by BobSavage on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobSavage
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:42 am

akgold wrote:unplug everything power usb to both the printer and the projector
shut off computer
restart computer

restart program to print

Ran through the list. No spills of any kind anywhere, no debris (everything looks like-new), unplugged everything while I was inspecting... plugged all back in and the xy motor is still "dead." I also made sure the connectors for the switches, motors, etc. were all still secure. Everything looks good from my perspective.

Defective xy motor? I looked for a reset specifically for the xy motor but couldn't find anything other than what appears to be a reset on the small, central circuit board.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#5 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:04 pm

Go to "Support" and scroll down to register for the "support portal" send your questions. This is monitored at the factory.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

BobSavage
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:29 pm

Robert Howle wrote:Go to "Support" and scroll down to register for the "support portal" send your questions. This is monitored at the factory.

Robert Howle

Thank you Robert... did exactly that this morning.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#7 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:39 am

This is probably the circuit board that fried...I have had that happen a couple times. Mostly when I had things stick to the vat and I had to push start the vat to get it working...I have a spare motor with wiring ready to test and a spare board just in case.
Something on the board goes bad ... not sure what it is, but there should be a protective circuit on the X motor side of the board.
Have not had that happen in a long time since I don't have anything sticking on the Vat side anymore. ...Just had to fine tune it to get rid of that problem.

BobSavage
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:48 am

Metalcaster wrote:This is probably the circuit board that fried...I have had that happen a couple times. Mostly when I had things stick to the vat and I had to push start the vat to get it working...I have a spare motor with wiring ready to test and a spare board just in case.
Something on the board goes bad ... not sure what it is, but there should be a protective circuit on the X motor side of the board.
Have not had that happen in a long time since I don't have anything sticking on the Vat side anymore. ...Just had to fine tune it to get rid of that problem.

Thanks for all of your input. I was concerned about my unit still being under warranty, despite the low hours (don't use it much but need to start) but it looks like it is and b9 is going to replace the motor.

Is the board you're referring to on the motor itself or are you talking about the larger "main" board to the right side of the unit?

I didn't find anything sticking on the vat, the channel, etc. What type of sticking have you encountered?

Also, is there any benefit or negative side to lubricating the channels that the vat plate (don't know what it's called) slides in? There's a lot of play so it doesn't seem like it should need lubrication but thought I'd ask.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#9 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi Bob,
I meant the main control board under and on the right side.
The sticking I was referring to was the vat had a hard time sliding without some personal assistance in the beginning of the print... eventually, it caused problems to my control board and it had to be replaced.I do a lot of experimental printing and testing of different materials on top of printing about 75 pieces a week. I do not blame the B9 for the breakdowns. Thats me experimenting!
Since they are sending you a motor, try that first... It could be the motor.
The motor is a 12v unit and It could be tested with a 12 volt power supply or battery.
You would need a schematic for that.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#10 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:24 pm

A little grease , oil , mineral oil on the slides will help the machine be a bit quieter and slide easier.

BobSavage
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:57 pm

Metalcaster wrote:Hi Bob,
I meant the main control board under and on the right side.
The sticking I was referring to was the vat had a hard time sliding without some personal assistance in the beginning of the print... eventually, it caused problems to my control board and it had to be replaced.I do a lot of experimental printing and testing of different materials on top of printing about 75 pieces a week. I do not blame the B9 for the breakdowns. Thats me experimenting!
Since they are sending you a motor, try that first... It could be the motor.
The motor is a 12v unit and It could be tested with a 12 volt power supply or battery.
You would need a schematic for that.

When you had the main board issue, did only the X motor go out or did it take out more than just that? I haven't encountered an issue where the print didn't start in fact, this problem occurred in two back to back jobs, with the motor (or board?) seeming to die completely upon the second job it error with.

Thanks for the lubrication tip.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#12 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:25 am

It only affected the X motor... at first the X motor sounded like it was the problem... It barely made it through a simple print, then it stopped. I have a spare wired up to use in case of a problem. Instead of taking everything apart, I simply plugged in the back up motor and it would not run well either.... The boards do not always stop working... they can go intermittent ... partially working X !!!! . I have 2 machines and I have gone through 5 boards... (always have a back up). The problem has not reoccurred in a long time.
The only problem I had with an X motor was the internal screws that hold the gearbox in place would loosen...and that was years ago. Thats when I mentioned here to tighten the internal screws and then wrap some electrical tape around the junction of the motor and gearbox. It stops the motor from rattling and loosening up.

BobSavage
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#13 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:46 am

Metalcaster wrote:It only affected the X motor... at first the X motor sounded like it was the problem... It barely made it through a simple print, then it stopped. I have a spare wired up to use in case of a problem. Instead of taking everything apart, I simply plugged in the back up motor and it would not run well either.... The boards do not always stop working... they can go intermittent ... partially working X !!!! . I have 2 machines and I have gone through 5 boards... (always have a back up). The problem has not reoccurred in a long time.
The only problem I had with an X motor was the internal screws that hold the gearbox in place would loosen...and that was years ago. Thats when I mentioned here to tighten the internal screws and then wrap some electrical tape around the junction of the motor and gearbox. It stops the motor from rattling and loosening up.

Thanks again... I'm a few months out of warranty so I'm paying for the motor and hope that it's the problem because it's going to be quite frustrating if it's the main board for a couple reasons.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#14 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:58 pm

Hi Bob,
You can call me If you need help once you get your motor.When you do, Just plug the motor in and test it before installing it in the machine. Taking the control board out is just a pain if you have to do it.

BobSavage
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#15 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:53 pm

Metalcaster wrote:Hi Bob,
You can call me If you need help once you get your motor.When you do, Just plug the motor in and test it before installing it in the machine. Taking the control board out is just a pain if you have to do it.

Hi Daniel (I realized who you are after looking at your profile!),

I plugged in the new motor and it works so that's better news than a problem with the main board (though I'm still a little sour about a motor dying after 90 hours).

Is there anything tricky about replacing the motor? I'm mechanically inclined so unless there's a magical order of doing things or specific torque required for fastening I can figure it out.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#16 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:51 pm

Its a Pain in the Butt ! I fixed mine when I had the motor out by cutting a big hole with a hole cutter.
Essentially you have to use the tiny allen wrench that comes with it to remove the golden arm.
There is a shield I remember removing and not putting it back.
Then you see the the 6 Philips head screws that hold the motor in place.
Remember the motor position when you remove it.

Before you put the new motor in, Tighten all the little motor screws, then wrap electric tape around the casing joint of the motor and the gear box. That will stop the motor from shaking the screws loose.
One of many modifications to make it fast and easy to work on
Attachments
hole cut out.jpg
hole cut out.jpg (99.27 KiB) Viewed 178 times

BobSavage
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#17 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:56 pm

Alright, I'm back in business. Thanks for the help.

So now I need to learn how to use this thing... it's too intimidating but I'm sure it's because I'm still clueless.

Any advice would be appreciated. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7513

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#18 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:29 am

first focus on getting it well calibrated. a lot of people (myself, and more my predecessor with this machine, included) went with "close enough" and ended up having issues. once you find that sweet spot on calibration, you just have to worry about recoating the vats occasionally (though there might be a workaround for that, i'm about to test it myself). These forums have a Dragon's hoard worth of knowledge on running, maintaining, and fixing what's broken (when things break because Murphy, not because bad product) about these machines. Also some cool results of what other people have printed.

Return to “Hardware”