sunken and fonts

A lost wax capable resin tuned for 30 - 70 micron slice thickness
badbrando
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

sunken and fonts

Post#1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:14 am

I have great success with the core 550 and emerald resin but always have and still do have problems with championship style jewelry with sunken or even raised words in the design completing.
Does anyone have the magic formula to get this style design to work with resin burnout?
porsche fail.jpg

This seems to be my only limitation these days. I'm sick of having to send out this type design if I can do it myself...
Thanks, BA

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Re: sunken and fonts

Post#2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:50 pm

Try this with your investment
it sets up fast plus I would tilt the ring slightly so it isn't flat but it is definitely investment breakdown.
Attachments
IMG_0491.jpg
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

badbrando
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:28 pm

I'll try it thanks.

badbrando
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:05 pm

Here is an update..
I used boric acid as described above. I'd lioke to know if anyone has cast pieces like this with emerald resin?
unnamed (76).jpg

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#5 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:23 pm

Instead of fighting with this particular ring, just mold it shoot waxes and cast it.

You are not going to be able to cast some of the larger heavy pieces with the breakout issues especially with the small letter with no draft in the "Porsche" text. It will be tough even in wax at that weight. Many of the really heavy pieces need to be done in two parts with some hollowing in the shoulders.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#6 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:25 am

We do this for a couple customers. I, primarily use Cherry, but should work with Emerald. We get occasional failures which are usually caused by the client not curing the prints enough.
The trick to casting this makes it a real pain to finish... You need a decent sprue like you have, BUT on top of that, from the inside of the shank to the top interior of the ring, you need a 4mm to 5mm diameter sprue. This allows the head to drain out / burn up. The wax burns away first, leaving a nice big opening for the Resin to combust and fall out. then , the sides will burn out. Now, you have big fat internal sprues that you have to saw out.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#7 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:29 am

Yea, that, the heavy central sprue. I do the same thing with mine. I do try to make sure there is draft on all openings and text. Take a look at a heavy class ring or similar. They are not made with straight sided text, etc.. And like i stated, they are mostly 2 part rings.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

badbrando
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:47 pm

I've cast this type ring with so many different combinations of spruing and burnout method that I just don't believe it's possible without it being wax. I'll just make molds of the resin from now on. I didn't want too but I guess it's a compromise I'll have to make. I'm not good at cutting molds:(. All other rings are perfectly burned out so It's hard to complain I guess..

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#9 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:59 pm

badbrando wrote:I've cast this type ring with so many different combinations of spruing and burnout method that I just don't believe it's possible without it being wax. I'll just make molds of the resin from now on. I didn't want too but I guess it's a compromise I'll have to make. I'm not good at cutting molds:(. All other rings are perfectly burned out so It's hard to complain I guess..

you don't have to be good at cutting molds although I know it's the preferred method, I use mold locks in the 4 corners of the molds and baby powder in the middle before putting them together for the mold frame.
There will be some minimal cutting. You can also use them for cutting it just makes it easier. just dust to outer sides and the corners where the mold locks are and then you can open it up and cut out the area you need around the ring.

for the rest of the posts they are right. but as I was saying the ring needs to be tilted so the sprue actually comes in at the side of the model but the sprue up the middle is commonly done as well. I do it too I also add small short wax wire on the sides of these smooth surfaces on heavy rings like this to reduce any porosity it helps dissipate the heat evenly I would add at least 4 or 5 on each side but they are right to say the sprue up the middle will help with ash removal especially if you use a Vacuum cleaner to suck out any residual ash from the can before casting. This ring should be no problem to cast.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

ndao123
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:57 pm

Try this I hope it would work for you

mix some investment vacuum put on top make sure it cover the design of your ring only let it dry where the letters are. then investment whole ring

then burn out. and cast at low temp.

badbrando
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:22 pm

thanks I'll try this next.

Return to “B9R-3-Emerald”