Question on latest print?

B9 Core Series - Ideas and Discussions
bvwjewelers
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Question on latest print?

Post#1 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:03 am

First off I love the new printer, wow!
I ran the test print and it came out flawless right out of the box..second question is these prints I ran this morning. strange line on that large flat surface, should have put that at an angle a bit. The other side of that sprue/base is super smooth, so it's just the one side showing on the larger ring.
Thoughts?
Attachments
core.jpg
core.jpg (10.55 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
"BVW Jewelers using 3D Printing in all our designs." http://www.bvwjewelers.com/

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Re: Question on latest print?

Post#2 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Can't see it in that photo.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#3 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:56 pm

What slice thickness did u run the print.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

bvwjewelers
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:29 pm

So I sent off a email to several people about this problem and print fails that seem to be happening from time to time. I am moving over to drilling holes in my kelm and moving away from the air pump I have had installed to see if that does anything tonight on my resin castings. I put down below what I'm doing and a couple images. All I can think of is on this print I did not run extra sprue inside the ring...will be doing that tonight.

Design:
I love my B9 Core and am using the Emerald Green. Once I get the ring completed I cure it in the B9 cure box in a bowl with water for 2 min

Mixing:
I start out with Prestige Optima investment and mix it on the heavy side for this ring, just like heavy whipping cream in a med stand up mixer with a whisk attachment.
Mix for 4 min
Vacuum in bowl for 2min
Pour into flask
Vacuum flask for 2 min
I let the investment stand for over 4 hours before kelm kicks on.

Oven Times:
My flasks are off the floor by about an inch.
300 4 hr
Ramp 24 f /min
700 2 hr
Ramp 24 f /min
1500 3 hr
Cool down to 1000 then I turn the oven on at a 1000 for one hour. Casting:
I have drilled a hole into my kelm where I have installed an air pump to push air into the front door and try to get circulation going a bit better for the ash. I do notice some burn marks around edges and have seen cracks at time to time. I have gotten an aftermarket thermometer to double check and my temps are only off by 20-30 degrees.

Casting:
I use a Kerr electormelt and for this ring pictured I did use customer’s gold but added a few extra dwt to help with the casting. I have also used brand new gold, and have had this same problem at times. The Kerr was set at 1960 F and once I added the gold I then let sit until gold looks like mercury in the bottom of the flask.
Using a vacuum caster I pour once at max let sit for about 5 min then drop in a bucket to remove investment.
Attachments
p1.jpg
p2.jpg
"BVW Jewelers using 3D Printing in all our designs." http://www.bvwjewelers.com/

noahbern
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:55 pm

That resin is completely not cured.... it must cure longer

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#6 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:27 am

If u leave the base on the print and stand it up in the water u get better cure. If u lay it down then cure 2 or 3 min on each side.

Robert Howle

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#7 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:56 am

definitely not cured enough. I would go at least 5 min. per side just for safety.
Nothing wrong with your oven, set up or burnout... Just curing.

bvwjewelers
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:08 am

F-me....really! I have been curing for 2 min..so stand them up and cure for 5 min?

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#9 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:31 pm

For best results, stand the ring up for 3+ minutes, then remove the supports and lay it on it's side. cure one side, then the other side for 3 to 5 minutes.
That should work for thin ladies rings and bands like these. For big mens rings like college and military style rings, curing can take a LOT longer.

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#10 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:33 pm

It might be overkill but I cure each side for 5 mins just to be sure. Not long compared to the 5 to 6 hours I used to spend curing using a nail UV lightbox. Nothing worse than a casting to return with bumpy surfaces because it wasn't cured properly.

PandaP
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:39 pm

Just chiming in to what other are saying. My process now is clean prints in ultrasonic in water and lots of soap until ultrasonic runs for 10 mins and water is still crystal clear, wash prints off in sink, cure for 4 mins, cut off all sprues and file bits off that need to be filed, ultra quickly to remove dust, cure another 4 mins, there aren't usually pits but if I see any fill with wolf repair wax, sprue, cast.

Cure more! :D

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#12 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:24 pm

Got this cleaning tip from Mike at the factory. I dip my prints in concentrated mix of Dawn and water then put in plastic container of 110 to 120F hot water. Float in the ultrasonic, this keeps the ultrasonic clean. You won't believe how fast this cleans. I pour out the cloudy water after just 2 or 3 min. and put in a fresh batch of hot water and back into the ultrasonic, just to check (no white cloud means it's clean. Try this method you will love it. Don't know why I never tried really hot water. I'm sure hotter is ok, the 110 to 120F is the temp of my hottest tap water. Don't think you should get crazy with the temp. I wouldn't go over the 120 F, no need to.

Robert Howle

PandaP
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#13 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:40 am

Robert Howle wrote:Got this cleaning tip from Mike at the factory. I dip my prints in concentrated mix of Dawn and water then put in plastic container of 110 to 120F hot water. Float in the ultrasonic, this keeps the ultrasonic clean. You won't believe how fast this cleans. I pour out the cloudy water after just 2 or 3 min. and put in a fresh batch of hot water and back into the ultrasonic, just to check (no white cloud means it's clean. Try this method you will love it. Don't know why I never tried really hot water. I'm sure hotter is ok, the 110 to 120F is the temp of my hottest tap water. Don't think you should get crazy with the temp. I wouldn't go over the 120 F, no need to.

Robert Howle

This is what I do as well. So nice to have them in the bag because it means I don't have to change the whole thing!

bvwjewelers
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#14 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:57 am

I'm still taken back after all this time it's my curing. I'm going to try the DAWN cleaning and new cure times tonight.

bvwjewelers
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#15 » Fri May 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Did the clean up just like was said. Left base on and did UV for 5 min and turned them just in case for another 5 min. Same castings, mixing etc as above.
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#16 » Fri May 26, 2017 4:33 pm

Robert Howle wrote:Got this cleaning tip from Mike at the factory. I dip my prints in concentrated mix of Dawn and water then put in plastic container of 110 to 120F hot water. Float in the ultrasonic, this keeps the ultrasonic clean. You won't believe how fast this cleans. I pour out the cloudy water after just 2 or 3 min. and put in a fresh batch of hot water and back into the ultrasonic, just to check (no white cloud means it's clean. Try this method you will love it. Don't know why I never tried really hot water. I'm sure hotter is ok, the 110 to 120F is the temp of my hottest tap water. Don't think you should get crazy with the temp. I wouldn't go over the 120 F, no need to.

Robert Howle

something I have been saying for years about using baggies in the hot ultrasonic
works great
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

bvwjewelers
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#17 » Fri May 26, 2017 5:47 pm

I did the new cleaning just like above.....

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#18 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:58 pm

hmm... could be your burnout process that is the problem. Someone else would be able to give you advice on that. I cast b9 red/cherry resin and have not had any problems. Emerald resin should be much better I hear.

Are you using B9 Core 530 printer? or Core 550?

bvwjewelers
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#19 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:08 pm

I love the Core 530...just don't like the resin.

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#20 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:59 pm

bvwjewelers wrote:I love the Core 530...just don't like the resin.

have you had success in the past casting with other B9 resins like B9 red/cherry mix?

Return to “General Discussion”