Proper Vivitek D912HD Menu Settings for v1.2?

Discussions on normal hardware operation, tips, etc.
NCSU_Mike
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Proper Vivitek D912HD Menu Settings for v1.2?

Post#1 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:26 pm

Hi All,

I've got my v1.2 printer torn down for an overhaul at the moment. One of the items on the list was to check out the projector's image quality, and take the time to scroll through the menus (haven't done so before, and was curious).

I found there were quite a few options for filtering (among other settings), which could directly alter the displayed image away from what the B9C software intends to project.

Also, there were a few settings which could potentially be helpful (like, fan speed... ours was set to normal, but my guess is that High wouldn't hurt if the Vivitek uses a UHP lamp... the discharge arc tries to to heat the lamp's quartz jacket up to >1400K (>2060 F), and has to be kept in check with some epic ventilation).

After some searching, I wasn't able to find any posts on how things are supposed to be configured... It would be great to have that info available =).

But that made me think, are all of these settings controlled automatically via the RS232? Would make sense to do it if it's possible.
Or, are there some settings that can't be tweaked remotely, and which need to be in place for the projector to work properly?

I've never been able to automatically turn the projector on or off using the B9 Creator software... It makes me think that the projector control/RS232 isn't functioning properly. For example, the program will simply freeze and crash at the end of a successful build. If that's the case, then it would be great to get those settings corrected.

Sad, as I reported the issue before the warranty period ran out, but never heard anything back from Mike and the gang on getting a new projector, or fixing it, etc. =(.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Proper Vivitek D912HD Menu Settings for v1.2?

Post#2 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:45 pm

You should have no need to turn the projector off via the software. You can abort a print or pause a print only.

The green light always stays on showing u have power to the projector. It is best not to use the manual controls on the projector. The software is only sending one image at a time and turning the image on and off at specified intervals.

U should get blinking signals from the projector if there is an internal issue. There is a lamp and temp indicator lights on the projector if those are issues.

These lamps run at high temp all the time and is the reason for the ventilation fan staying on after the print is finished.

The only mods to the projetor I am aware of is the spacer to allow for focus at a short distance and a dust gasket.

If u have crashes, is it your computer? What kind of message are u getting with a "crash" as u call it. Please be more specific.

You can always "reboot" the projectors on board system by unplugging the power (AC) cord.

The reason there are no posted settings for the projector is that none were changed at the factory. Default settings should be fine. See no reason why fan speed would hurt anything if u increase it, but doing so may void the B9 warranty. After all there is no way to know if u made a change to the settings that negatively affected the printer/projector operation.

If I am incorrect i'm sure the peep at B9 will comment.

Only here to help, if I can.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

NCSU_Mike
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:44 pm

Robert Howle wrote:You should have no need to turn the projector off via the software. You can abort a print or pause a print only.

The green light always stays on showing u have power to the projector. It is best not to use the manual controls on the projector. The software is only sending one image at a time and turning the image on and off at specified intervals.

U should get blinking signals from the projector if there is an internal issue. There is a lamp and temp indicator lights on the projector if those are issues.

These lamps run at high temp all the time and is the reason for the ventilation fan staying on after the print is finished.

The only mods to the projetor I am aware of is the spacer to allow for focus at a short distance and a dust gasket.

If u have crashes, is it your computer? What kind of message are u getting with a "crash" as u call it. Please be more specific.

You can always "reboot" the projectors on board system by unplugging the power (AC) cord.

The reason there are no posted settings for the projector is that none were changed at the factory. Default settings should be fine. See no reason why fan speed would hurt anything if u increase it, but doing so may void the B9 warranty. After all there is no way to know if u made a change to the settings that negatively affected the printer/projector operation.

If I am incorrect i'm sure the peep at B9 will comment.

Only here to help, if I can.

Robert Howle

Thanks for the quick reply Robert!

Good to know nothing needs to be changed. I'm tempted to do a "factory reset" of the options, just in case anything was changed via unintentional button presses (keystone, brightness, contrast, sharpness, and gamma especially). Hopefully this won't wipe the lamp hours too!

With regards to turning the projector on from standby mode... the software is unable to do this (I believe it is supposed to from what I recall?). I have to manually cycle the projector power from the panel buttons. The software does however, put the projector back into standby mode, after printing.

As far as the end of program crashes, it's actually causing the program to freeze. When I get everything re-assembled and do a calibration grid, I'll record some screenshots with specifics.
I recall doing pretty much everything to solve the crashing problems back in 2015 when I first set up the printer, except for trying another computer to see if that helped things. I'll have to switch and see what happens. I've gotten used to it now, but having to CTL+ALT+DLT and close the B9 program (freezes and stops responding, transferring the display grid pattern to the other monitor (LCD panel)), does add up time-wise. With the hundreds of prints my research group has done (we're a small university group), I'd hate to think how much time we've actually spent just closing the program (Maybe an hour or two, lol).

With the current computer, I'm using the D912's DisplayPort interface (The video card happened to have a DP out, which was pretty rare back then, but even harder to find these days it seems!). Could be the source of the problems, if the OS is still supposed to detect the projector when it's put back in standby mode after the final projected frame, by the B9 software.

Looking at the projector's supplementary material online, there's a LOT that can be controlled through the RS232 interface, so I hope that's doing its job. It would be good to solve this problem... I'll re-post if I can't get it working on another PC.

Thanks,

Mike

Franz
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Hi Mike

As I understand your post you have un assembled your D912HD for overhaul? What are you over hauling?

My D912 is throwing a color wheel error and I would like to try to fix myself as vivitec says due to b9 mods they won't repair. This projector and b9 took a big hit in shipping and after much help from b9 team worked like a champ for a year till color wheel error. really don't want to spend $1200 for projector and really want to fix

Any help you can supply would be much appreciated as I have not yet been able to open the housing.

Regards
Franz

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#5 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Franz wrote:Hi Mike

As I understand your post you have un assembled your D912HD for overhaul? What are you over hauling?

My D912 is throwing a color wheel error and I would like to try to fix myself as vivitec says due to b9 mods they won't repair. This projector and b9 took a big hit in shipping and after much help from b9 team worked like a champ for a year till color wheel error. really don't want to spend $1200 for projector and really want to fix

Any help you can supply would be much appreciated as I have not yet been able to open the housing.

Regards
Franz

Has anyone tried contacting this company? When I talked to them they seemed confident in the ability to repair the Vivetec.
http://www.bnytech.com/services/project ... -new-york/
If you are a new client please submit “Service request“. We will create “Work order” and contact you shortly. We charge $65 diagnostic fee for Regular projectors which will go toward the price for repair. Please call (212) 361-9979

If you go to their website they have a chat window that comes up and you can chat with them too.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

NCSU_Mike
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:52 pm

Hi Franz,

Sorry for the confusing post! I'm afraid the only component that I've completely disassembled on the B9 is the x-axis motor transmission.

I was doing a general rebuild and overhaul on the entire printer, and had a list of dozens of check-points that had accumulated over the last year. One of those was to just turn on the projector while it was off the printer, and check for error messages, clean the objective lens exterior, look for accidental setting changes... just simple stuff :) .

Now, I haven't ever touched the D912, but I do know a little about projector modifications from some other optical projects. One thing I've learned, is that mass-produced projectors are pretty unpredictable! Sometimes they're not really designed for easy access (after the original alignment at the factory). I'd definitely look into a professional repair company.

Franz
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:34 pm

Has anyone tried contacting this company? When I talked to them they seemed confident in the ability to repair the Vivetec.
If you are a new client please submit “Service request“. We will create “Work order” and contact you shortly. We charge $65 diagnostic fee for Regular projectors which will go toward the price for repair. Please call (212) 361-9979

If you go to their website they have a chat window that comes up and you can chat with them too.[/quote]

Thanks a again Tim for reposting this. I would rather fix myself if possible.

Regards
franz

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#8 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:37 pm

@ NCSUMike

I would try a different computer with a more current video card. The Nvidia ones are super.

Have seen more than one user have problems just because of a bad cable or USB Hub (including me).

Robert Howle

NCSU_Mike
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Robert Howle wrote:@ NCSUMike

I would try a different computer with a more current video card. The Nvidia ones are super.

Have seen more than one user have problems just because of a bad cable or USB Hub (including me).

Robert Howle

Hi Robert,

I'll definitely try this ASAP.

In the meantime, I was able to get screenshots of the errors which occur after a print finishes:

Photo Mar 16, 6 37 24 PM.jpg

The projector turns off, and the grid transfers over to the computer monitor. Projector is not present as a monitor any longer.

Photo Mar 16, 6 38 22 PM.jpg

All of the following errors pop up together (I think, hard to tell, as I can't see the order of errors occurring)

Photo Mar 16, 6 38 30 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 16, 6 38 51 PM.jpg

Hope this helps diagnose things.

Thanks,

Mike

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#10 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:23 pm

looks like your display setup may be changing. I would def try a different computer get a new HDMI cable to go from your computer to the projector. Many have had cables go bad. I would always try the cable first then the computer. Then figure it's the projector.

Robert

Franz
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:47 pm

Franz wrote:Has anyone tried contacting this company? When I talked to them they seemed confident in the ability to repair the Vivetec.

If you go to their website they have a chat window that comes up and you can chat with them too.

Thanks a again Tim for reposting this. I would rather fix myself if possible.

Regards
franz[/quote]

Update

I sent my 1.2 projector to bnytech in NY in July. Got an est to replace color wheel and am still waiting. Told they had to order from china. Not very good customer service and I wonder if i will ever hear back or see my projector again???

Franz

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#12 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi Franz,
This guy on Ebay is in china and sells color wheels and parts for Vivitek... Very inexpensive. go to the page, then contact him and ask for the one you want...
/www.ebay.com/itm/New-Vivitek-D523-VK510-D548-Projector-Color-Wheel/272765819914?epid=2226467331&hash=item3f821c1c0a:g:Nv4AAOSwFntZbLZu

Although these are not the 912 model, he says to contact him for any parts for vivitek...

Franz
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#13 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:05 pm

Metalcaster wrote:Hi Franz,
This guy on Ebay is in china and sells color wheels and parts for Vivitek... Very inexpensive. go to the page, then contact him and ask for the one you want...
/www.ebay.com/itm/New-Vivitek-D523-VK510-D548-Projector-Color-Wheel/272765819914?epid=2226467331&hash=item3f821c1c0a:g:Nv4AAOSwFntZbLZu

Although these are not the 912 model, he says to contact him for any parts for vivitek...

Thanks Dan!

If BNYtech cannot repair for me I will give this guy a shot. Originally I did try to open projector housing without success so would need to find someone to install for me.

Best to you and your family this Thanksgiving.
Franz

Return to “Operation”