Black resin at 25z with grey pigment

A general purpose resin tuned for 30 - 204 micron slice thickness
Archimedes
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Black resin at 25z with grey pigment

Post#1 » Wed May 11, 2016 10:59 pm

In the interest of giving back a little in return for all that I have learned on this forum over the last year and half, I would like to share some results from my most recent experimentation. My primary interest is very small scale ship models. I am not casting, so my focus is on wringing out every last bit of detail in the final prints, particularly with regard to small/slender details, in a consistent fashion.

I have been experimenting with B9 Black resin for a while now, and I really like its overall sharpness and hard cure properties. However, it does suffer from some z-bleed, particularly when using 25 micron layers. In order to quantify the amount of bleed, I created a square test model 0.5 mm thick. Z-bleed is more pronounced over larger surfaces, so I included two narrow 0.5 x 0.5 mm bottom rails along the length of the model. This results are shown below (the diagram shows a cross section of the test piece):

Z-Bleed Comparison Stock.jpg

I began experimenting with introducing additional pigment to reduce z-bleed with Black resin. I initially started with Spot-A pigment I had on hand, which worked well, but switched to Maker Juice due to the cost of shipping. I selected grey as it seemed the obvious choice for my subject matter. A custom material profile was developed from the generic black profile for each pigment concentration. The more pigment added, the better the results, but more pigment also means longer print times and an increasing tendency of pigment to settle out when not in use. I was ultimately satisfied with a concentration of 20g pigment added per kg of stock resin. This has resulted in a significant reduction in bleed:

Z-Bleed Comparison Pigment.jpg

Below is an example of an actual print, though the photo does not really do justice to the level of detail that is possible with this resin/pigment combination. I am still amazed at what the B9 is capable of. This model includes cross braces as small as 0.12 mm in diameter. The turrets do actually rotate, and are another feature where controlling z-bleed is critical. I did cheat a bit on the aft (right hand) mast for the sake of durability; it is actually a length of steel wire slipped through from below. Consistently achieving this level of results requires very careful projector focus and a relatively fresh PDMS. I also use a reduced shutter open speed and increased settle time.

20160511_220328M.jpg
1:3000 scale SMS Blücher, 30xy, 25z

There is one very important additional thing to note here. The model above was printed using version 1.8.0 of the B9 software. Later versions include an “enhancement” designed to reduce z-bleed. While it appears to work for larger items, it can have a detrimental effect on very small/thin elements (Mike is aware of this). I was hoping that this latest release of the software (1.8.4) would include a switch to allow users to selectively disable this feature, but no such luck. Perhaps next update.

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: Black resin at 25z with grey pigment

Post#2 » Wed May 11, 2016 11:12 pm

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Wed May 11, 2016 11:16 pm

Could you post your material file, or a screen grab of the settings? I've been doing a similar thing, but I just added a small amount (5 ml pigment per liter) of MJ grey to the B9 black, as I was mostly looking for a color that made it easier to see the fine details for post processing. (I also print small scale models, though not quite as small as yours.) I was considering going further to reduce z bleed, this might save me some time.

Interesting about the 1.8 software. I've noticed a bit of difference in crispness between some of the older models I've printed and newer ones. I might have to try rolling back to the older software and see if that helps.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#4 » Thu May 12, 2016 12:00 am

Great print and thanks for sharing.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

Archimedes
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Thu May 12, 2016 9:36 pm

Bexley wrote:Could you post your material file, or a screen grab of the settings?

Sure:

Material Properties.jpg
Material Properties.jpg (157.99 KiB) Viewed 1329 times

I would advise treating these settings as a starting point and tweaking a bit as needed. When printing I am using a Shutter Open Speed of 40%, and a Settle time of 7 seconds in order to improve the build quality in small elements and details, with everything else set to defaults.

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Thu May 12, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks!

ROSITAGIOIELLI
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:16 am

Whic kind of pigment do you use ? Is it the same for any kind of resins