Gaps when printing at 70XY/30 or 70XY/50

Software issues and solutions
Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Gaps when printing at 70XY/30 or 70XY/50

Post#1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:33 pm

This is probably a Mike question as I don't think there are too many people printing at 70xy
I am getting gaps on the bottom of pieces when I print flat at 70XY /30 or 70XY/50 Usually around the bottom edge of the bracelets
Big pain as I need to print on the 70XY for Large bracelets that have flat surfaces.
The machine is a 1.2
I have checked the file for any red spots any where and there are non. The Bracelets and large round flat objects print completely without a problem...
Just getting these pesky air pockets as I call them.

I do fill them with wax when I catch them in the prints, but some get by and ruin the casting on a 6 hour print !
Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Gaps when printing at 70XY/30 or 70XY/50

Post#2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:48 pm

When I get those on larger and smaller flat objects i think it is trapped air. have to raise above the table to allow resin flow or maybe increase the settle time to 5 sec to allow fill in flow of the resin. Also might tilt the machine with a few credit cards on the left side to speen up flow back to the right side if u are using a sweeper.

I know some of your work it confidential, but maybe a layout capture.

Send to my email and then i"ll delete after I take a look.

Just some thoughts.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#3 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:13 am

Hi Robert,
Thank you, I will try to send it to you later today. These holes are only happening at the beginning of the prints on the flat surface. It then affects the next couple layers
in that area... Happens in a couple spots ... sometimes where you can't see it like on the inside edge /wall .
I have put it at an angle and the problem goes away.... but, because these are big pieces , the print time goes from 3 hours+ to 8 hrs+ and then I have a ton of supports on the bottom edge of the bracelets to remove.So Flat prints is the way I have to go at the moment.
I bring this up on the forum because I thought this problem was solved with a software update..... Could be my old age and failing memory :-) On my next one, I will try to increase the settle time and see if it makes a difference.

Matt
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#4 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:22 am

Can you attach a picture of what you are seeing?

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#5 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:17 pm

Hi Matt,
This is one picture of a hole that shows up in the first 1.5 mm of the print when printing flat( bit out of focus but the hole is visible)I have printed a bunch of different pieces and have had that happen . Not sure how to rectify it. It does not repeat in the same place if I print multiples.I fill them with injection wax before casting if I find them. Robert suggested a few things which I will try and any other ideas would be helpful.
Attachments
Hole in print1.jpg
Hole in print1.jpg (31.36 KiB) Viewed 992 times

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#6 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:11 am

When you print a ring flat to the surface it creates a bit of an inverse suction cup effect. When we lower the ring for the next layer it takes longer for the trapped resin to find a way out. You can either raise it on supports or increase the settle time to ensure the resin has stopped moving before the exposure begins. Also, adding a bit more resin to the vat than normal might help some.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#7 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:50 am

Hi Mike,
This is actually a bangle bracelet and it's 65mm OD.Other then these gaps,the bracelet prints pretty good.
I will increase the settle time as you and Robert suggested.

What would you suggest as the proper resolution for printing this using a big 70XY platform and cherry/red mix?

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#8 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:05 am

Cherry really struggles at 70 XY (takes a LONG exposure time). To keep the exposure times as low as possible, you'll probably want to slice <= 50 x
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#9 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi Mike,
Which of the resin materials would be the best to run high definition on a 70xy platform?
Thank you for your help

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#10 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:12 pm

I use this support array on those type of models.

Horizontal band supports.JPG
Dance like nobody's watching!

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#11 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:40 am

Hi Robert,
I already did that... adds about 2 hours to the print. Had some failures in various areas.Added more supports and got it to print... but, I think flat gave me better /faster prints, So i will increase the settle time.

Still want to know from Mike or anyone with experience on large platfom prints what resin would work best for a 70xy platform running at 30 z.
I used all my Green and Yellow and went to cherry/red mix which is all I have right now.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#12 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:54 am

At 70 XY, green is probably your best bet. Red may print a bit faster but likely with more bleed.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#13 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks Mike. I will give green a shot when I get another order in.

Return to “Troubleshooting”