Burnout Oven

Discussions on normal hardware operation, tips, etc.
mitch@feldsteins.com

Burnout Oven

Post#1 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:49 am

Hey guys,

So I've got a very old Neycraft oven. Its probabley 25 years old. The highest ramp rate on the oven is 12 degrees per minute.
Im wondering if that effects any casting issues with this slow of a rate? Do i need to get a new oven? Would like to know by the end of the year if i need to get one or not.

Thanks!
Attachments
oven.JPG

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Burnout Oven

Post#2 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:35 am

YOur ramp rate is equal to 720 degrees per hr., dont' think that should be an issue. Have u calibrated to see if the thermocouple is reporting to the controller accurately. I used kiln test cones and mine was off by approx. 50 degrees. This is the reason I set my high end temp to 1450F.

If u are curing, have air flow, and reaching the min of 1350 for 2 to 3 hrs. Then u should be ok.

Robert Howle
Last edited by Robert Howle on Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dance like nobody's watching!

mitch@feldsteins.com

Post#3 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:41 am

Yes we calibrated and was about 30 degrees off so we also bumped it up the top end.
Thanks!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#4 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:57 am

What method are u using for curing?

Robert

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#5 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:01 pm

What method are u using for curing?

Robert

mitch@feldsteins.com

Post#6 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:53 pm

The UV curing from B9. How do you know if an object is over cured or not cured enough?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#7 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:05 pm

Dont' think u can over cure using the UV method, wheather it be Sun light, uv nail boxes, or the B9 units. All that is really required is complete surface cure. Complete penetrating cure can't hurt.

If u sand, file, or drill a cured print you may expose uncured resin, so redo the curing after any type of suface work.

As far as enough cure then cure all your prints underwater in the B9 unit for 3 to 6 min depending on size/thickness. If u have a flat charm or similar then cure on one side and flip it over and do the same again.
I leave the bases on my ring prints so they stand up vertically for good even exposure to the UV.

The only bad results from curing that I have experienced came from over curing with heat. Results were cracking of the prints. This only happened to me with B9 black and I really pushed the limits with it just to see what would happen (2.5 to 3 hrs at 350F). Never had a print crack using heat if ramping was done properly (recommended is 2 deg per min or 120 degrees F per hr. to 340f and hold for 1hr.).

As I have stated many times in the past, if u are having failed prints, post pictures with sprues and button. At least other casters have somewhere to start with trying to help.

Robert Howle

Return to “Operation”